This post is a list of miscarriage quotes to help you navigate grief & help you feel understood. This list is also for friends & family who wish to show support or pay tribute.
Anyone who has suffered the tragedy of losing a pregnancy will know that there is no comparable grief, and in those first few days, there is little to no way to comfort this pain.
If you’re someone who has gone through a pregnancy loss, this post is for you. Hearing stories and comforting miscarriage quotes from others can be a good way to help you navigate your grief and come to terms with your loss.
But these aren’t just any quotes, these are quotes that come from other parents who have endured pregnancy loss – both celebrities and everyday people.
No one should ever have to say goodbye to their angel baby so soon, but I hope at the very least, these quotes for miscarriage bring you some form of consolation and comfort during this heart-breaking time in your life.
Below, you will find: + Miscarriage Quotes for Parents + Quotes for Mom + Quotes for Dad + Quotes about Losing a Baby + Sympathy Quotes + Miscarriage Quotes from Celebrities + Christian Quotes on Miscarriage
**This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases (at no additional cost to you)!**
Miscarriage Quotes for Parents
For grieving parents who are looking for words to describe their broken hearts, we hope these miscarriage quotes for parents provide you with some solidarity.
1. “You never arrived in my arms, but you will never leave my heart.” – Zoe Clark-Coates
2. “You were unsure which pain is worse – the shock of what happened or the ache for what never will.” – Unknown
3. “If you don’t understand why I’m still grieving the loss of my babies. Consider yourself lucky.” – Chauncey Ellis
4. “When you carry a life and it’s there, and then gone, a part of your soul dies. Forever.” – Casey Wiegano
5. “And just like that you were gone and I’m left here feeling like a night sky stripped of all its stars.” – Louise Alexandra Erskine
6. “A pregnancy that ended before it could truly begin. A missed period that turned into an ellipsis of a promise, then an interrupted dash.” – Laura Lam, Goldilocks
7. “Pregnancy loss is a death we experience in our own bodies. There is no death we experience more intimately than one that literally passes through us.” – Elizabeth Bechard
**This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases (at no additional cost to you)**
8. “The healing power of even the most microscopic exchange with someone who knows in a flash precisely what you’re talking about because she experienced that thing too cannot be overestimated.” – Cheryl Strayed, Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar
9. “Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy.” – Eskimo Proverb
also read : How Journaling Grief Can Help You Cope With Pregnancy Loss (+ FREE PDF of 50 Journal Prompts)
Miscarriage Quotes for Mom
Here are some kind miscarriage quotes for moms, to help them remember and cherish the memory of their angel baby.
10. “At sunset, the little soul that had come with the dawning went away, leaving heartbreak behind it.” – L.M. Montgomery, Anne’s House of Dreams
11. “Any woman who’d ever lost a child knew of the hollowness that remained within the soul.” – Brittainy C. Cherry, Disgrace
12. “I carried you for every second of your life, and I will love you for every second of mine.” – Unknown
13. “All told, probably more women have lost a child from this world than haven’t. Most don’t mention it, and they go on from day to day as if it hadn’t happened, so people imagine a woman in this situation never really knew or loved what she had. But ask her sometime: how old would your child be now? And she’ll know.” – Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Kingdom
14. “A mother is never defined by the number of children you can see, but by the love that she holds in her heart.” – Franchesca Cox
15. “You were carried for only a moment, but will be loved for a lifetime.” – Unknown
16. “How very quietly you tiptoed into our world, silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footprints have left upon our hearts.” – Dorothy Ferguson
17. “You will always be my favorite ‘what if’” – Unknown
18. “When a child is born, it is a mother’s instinct to protect the baby. When a child dies, it is a mother’s instinct to protect the memory.” – Unknown
19. “Please don’t ever forget that you are, and always will be, a mother.” – Unknown
20. “I like to believe that all the babies whom died in the womb are with mothers who died giving birth. There’s a sentimental notion about this kind of perspective – a feeling of peace amidst deep grief.” – Nikki Rowe
Miscarriage Quotes for Dad
Gone but never forgotten, these are miscarriage quotes are for fathers to help them find strength and courage during this trying time.
21. “I never held you, but I feel you. You never spoke, but I hear you. I never knew you, but I love you.” – Unknown
22. “There’s a unique pain that comes from preparing a place in your heart for a child who never comes.” – David Platt
23. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” – Dr. Seuss, Horton Hears a Who
24. “There’s no tragedy in life like the death of a child. Things never get back to the way they were.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
25. “A wife who loses a husband is called a widow. A husband who loses a wife is called a widower. A child who loses his parents is called an orphan. There is no word for a parent who loses a child. That’s how awful the loss is.” – Jay Neugeboren, An Orphan’s Tale
26. “It’s hard to turn the page when you know someone won’t be in the next chapter.” – Thomas Wilder
27. “Father of an angel. Husband of a superwoman.” – Unknown
28. “I often wonder what kind of father figure I would have been. Then I remember, I am still a father.” – L. Smith
Quotes About Losing a Baby
This list of comforting quotes about losing a baby is for anyone that needs support while dealing with their loss.
29. “It hurts because it matters.” – John Green, Will Grayson
30. “Sometimes you are given a rainbow that you don’t get to keep.” – Unknown
31. “Every day that goes by is one day closer to you.” – Unknown
32. “When the good days come I embrace them. They are little gifts from you letting me know it’s ok to smile.” – Tahnee Knowles
33. “Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.” – A.A. Milne
34. “Grief is wild like the sea, but it doesn’t need to destroy us. We can’t conquer it, but we can navigate it, and we can find Jesus there too.” – Adriel Booker
35. “It is not ordinary to conceive a life and then lose it, it’s very far from ordinary. These passings should be marked, should be respected, should be given their due.” – Maggie O’Farrell, I Am, I Am, I Am
36. “Life need not be long-lived for it to be meaningful.” – Unknown
Sympathy Quotes For Miscarriage
If you know someone that has gone through a pregnancy loss and you are looking for the right thing to say, may these sympathy quotes for miscarriage help you find the right words.
37. “There is no time limit to healing. You take as much time as you need.” – S.L Gray
38. “Grief, I’ve learned, is really just love. It’s all the love you want to give, but cannot. All that unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes, the lump in your throat, and in that hollow part of your chest. Grief is just love with no place to go.” – Jamie Anderson
39. “Take as much time as you need to find physical and emotional healing after your pregnancy loss.” – Unknown
40. “What my sister needed was not people urging her, as so many did, to get pregnant again as soon as possible, but acknowledgment of her loss and the violence that she experienced in that loss. She needed to know that this was not a failure or that she was a bad mother. She needed to be allowed to be not only sad but also, in her grief, to be angry.” – Soraya Chemaly, Rage Becomes Her: The Power of Women’s Anger
41. “You are the strongest person I know, and the love you feel for your unborn child inspires us all.” – Unknown
42. “It is perfectly okay to admit you’re not okay.” – Unknown
43. “This book is for the mothers who’ve had to say goodbye too soon. I see you, I hear you, and I honor your hearts with wings. You are the strongest individuals alive, and I’m blown away by your strength, your ability to love, and your ability to not quit on life.” – Brittainy C. Cherry, Disgrace
44. “Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love.” – Unknown
45. “Feelings of emptiness may overwhelm you after the loss of your angel, but know that you are overwhelmed with the love and prayers of those around you.” – Unknown
Miscarriage Quotes from Celebrities
Here are some comforting words about miscarriage from celebrities who have spoken publically about their experiences:
46. “She was born silent after fighting so hard to make it to our world. She is at peace now and will live forever in our hearts.” – Christina Perri
47. “It’s like a death is happening inside your body, and you’re also supposed to show up for your child that you have, and you can’t really be sad in front of them, and you’re just confused if your feelings are okay [or] if they’re too dramatic.” – Whitney Port
48. “I’m so sorry that the first few moments of your life were met with so many complications, that we couldn’t give you the home you needed to survive. We will always love you.” – Chrissy Teigen
49. “Losing a child means carrying an unbearable grief, experienced by many but talked about by few.” – Meghan Markle
50. “Having miscarriages taught me that I had to mother myself before I could be a mother to someone else.” – Beyoncé Knowles
51. “At first I was ashamed and blamed myself like I did something wrong. Now I’m looking forward with hope for the future.” – Dominique Dawes
52. “We truly don’t know how brave our bodies and hearts are until we prevail in the moment, tears and all.” – Gabriella Ruiz
53. “I felt lost and alone, and I felt like I failed. I didn’t know how common miscarriages were because we don’t talk about them. We sit in our own pain, thinking that somehow we’re broken.” — Michelle Obama
54. “I am so sad but not ashamed. I am ever reminded of how amazing and powerful women are at making life and at healing. To all mothers who have been here and who will be here. I see you and love you.” – Christina Perri
55. “It breaks you open. It opens your heart. It deepens your appreciation. It makes you more human.” – James Van Der Beek
Bible Quotes About Miscarriage
Though your angel is sleeping, He will always be with them. Here are some words of comforting Christian quotes and verses for miscarriage:
56. “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” – Psalm 34:18, NIV
57. “God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” – Matthew 5:4
58. “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.” – 1 Peter 5:7
59. “And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.” – 1 Peter 5:10
60. “God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble.” – Psalm 46:1
61. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11
62. “I am not functioning very well. Living with the knowledge that the baby is dead is painful. I feel so far away from you, God. I can only try to believe that you are sustaining me and guiding me through this. Please continue to stand by my side.”
– Christine O’Keeffe Lafser, An Empty Cradle, a Full Heart: Reflections for Mothers and Fathers after Miscarriage, Stillbirth, or Infant Death
63. “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10
64. “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.” – Psalm 34:18
As Meghan Markle said, “losing a child means carrying an unbearable grief, experienced by many but talked about by few.”
This is one of my favorite quotes from this list because it highlights the importance of talking about and sharing our stories, so we can all find solidarity in each other and share the weight of this grief.
You don’t have to go through this time alone, and if you don’t know how to say the words to express how you feel, we hope this list provided you with some inspiration.